Propylene Glycol is the chemical used to create the visual smoke seen when vaping an electronic cigarette. The Propylene Glocol (PG) is added to the liquid nicotine, water, and flavorings used while making e juice. Some people are allergic to PG and if they are using e cigs will find that they must make the shift to Vegetable Glycerin (VG) as a substitute in their e juice. In some cases, people with severe PG allergies may find the vapor from e cigs irritating (rare). PG was not initially used for vapor smoking, as it is used in a large number of products found in every day life. Propylene Glycol is also known as propane-1,2-diol or 1,2-propanediol.
What Products Use Propylene Glycol?
Propylene Glycol (PG) is commonly used in many household products. These include:
- Diazepam (as the solvent in the injectable form of the product) and other pharmaceutical medicines.
- A carrier liquid in fragrences
- Massage oils
- Emulsification agent
- Smoke machines in order to create the smoke seen in the theater and for fire fighting training
- Hand sanitizers
- Solvent for food coloring
- Cooling agent for wine and beer
- Moisture stabilization for Swedish Snus.
- Coolant in some liquid cooling systems
- In cigar humidors
- De-icing of aircraft
- In deodorant sticks
- A working fluid in hyrdaulic presses
- An ingredient in UV or blacklight tattoo ink
Who Makes Propylene Glycol?
The Dow Chemical Company is the primary manufacturer of PG accounting for some 35 percent of the world’s supply. They create two variants of PG: 1 – Is for human use and 2 – For Industrial usage. Each is a different grade and composition.
Where Can You Buy Propylene Glycol?
It really depends on what use you are planning for the Propylene Glycol. If you are an electronic cigarette user, then most companies which sell e liquid or e juice will also sell PG and VG separately. The product is popular to purchase on its own for the power-users of e cigs who insist on creating their own mix of e liquid. If you are using it for a smoke machine, its generally recommended to buy your smoke machine fluid from the manufacturer.